Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Return to Work

Well the day finally arrived when maternity leave ended and it was time to return to work last week. As much as I enjoy my job and feel very grateful to have an understanding boss who encouraged me to take as much time as I could off with Olivia, it didn’t make returning to the office any easier. I kept thinking about how little Olivia was and I didn’t want to miss any time with her. Thankfully, we have Mark’s mom primarily taking care of Olivia while I am at work and when she is not able to my parents will be coming up to take care of her. I can only imagine how beside myself I would be if I had to take Olivia to a daycare when she is this young. It is comforting to know that family is taking care of Olivia while Mark and I are at work.

It was very important to me when I returned to work that I continued to breastfeed. I knew this would make my work schedule more difficult but I am determined to breastfeed the first year. And I feel very fortunate to work at CDC because they provide very nice lactation rooms in many of the buildings and provide a lactation consultant who worked with me to develop a plan so that I was able to continue breastfeeding and working. So far the plan is working and it makes me feel good that even though I am at work I am able to continue to provide the essential nutrients Olivia needs to grow healthy and strong.

I have also found ways to make being away from Olivia less difficult. I am getting up each day around 5:30 (that’s no typo, I am actually getting up that early) and nursing Olivia (who doesn’t understand why she has to get up that early either) then heading off to work to arrive at 7. This allows me to leave by 3:30 and I am home in time to enjoy the afternoon with Olivia. It also cuts down on my commute time. Although I am definitely not a morning person I am so glad to have most of the afternoon and all of the evening to spend with her.

Here is a picture from the evening after my first day back at work. Olivia was definitely upset with me when I returned home, crying hysterically. Once I calmed her down she slept on my chest for several hours. I know I could have put her in her crib but I had missed the snuggle time too!

No comments: