Dear Olivia
Monday you start kindergarten. It’s one of many firsts we are going to experience in your lifetime, but the thought of starting “real school” is hard for me to wrap my head around. To me, you are still “my baby."
But I know you are ready for this journey. You handled this summer’s childcare changes with ease and although I knew you were nervous about summer camp, you quickly adjusted, made friends, and eagerly told me about the fun you had each day. When mama and daddy realized that the new childcare situation made attending your neighborhood school in the fall a logistical nightmare, you completely embraced yet another change so you could attend a different school for kindergarten.
All summer we have talked about kindergarten and what you can expect. We have worked on phonics and made games out of learning your numbers. School supplies have been purchased and uniforms ordered. We are ready for this next adventure!
As you become a kindergartner and continue your school experiences I want to share some hopes I have for you.
I hope that this is just the beginning step in your love for learning.
I hope you find what topics/subjects excite you and you develop a passion for learning more.
I hope you find joy in reading and writing (like mama) and understand math concepts (like daddy).
I hope you continue to ask questions, and to not be afraid to ask for help from your teacher or other students.
I hope you don’t hold yourself back because you are worried you might make a mistake or it might not be perfect.
I hope you learn how to work hard and realize that even when working hard at something there are times when you may fail. I hope this doesn’t keep you from trying again.
I hope you are not afraid to come to mama and daddy when the day didn’t go well, when you didn’t know the answer to the teacher’s question or when you didn’t do well on a test. Those things happen Olivia, but they don’t define who you are.
I hope you learn what it means to be a good friend and don’t get wrapped up in girl drama and forget what is really important. Be nice. Be honest. Be a good friend. Sometimes doing what is right is not easy or popular.
On your first day of school I am pretty certain I will be holding back tears as I walk you to your classroom, but I know you are ready and Mama and Daddy are here for you every step of the way.
All my love,
Mama

3 comments:
So sweet! She will do so good at Kindergarten!
Dad said this was really good and made him feel sad too.
Olivia has matured so much since she started K and this summer even more.
Post a Comment