
Shortly after we found out I was pregnant we began to plan for when Olivia would arrive. On the list of “musts” for us was breastfeeding. Mark and I both felt strongly that breastfeeding would be the best way for us to nourish our daughter. From there, we talked with other nursing moms, read several books on breastfeeding, checked out a few dvd on the subject, and met with the CDC lactation consultant. One Bradley Method class we attended was also devoted to breastfeeding. All of this prep work and research helped tremendously in those first few weeks after Olivia was born. We knew what “booby traps” to expect and knew how to respond to those seemingly well meaning friends and family members who thought we should turn to formula instead of working through the obstacles. Our persistence paid off and at almost 11 months Olivia is still being breastfed. Initially our goal was to breastfeed the first year of life, as recommended by most health professionals and organizations, but we don’t plan to wean the moment she turns one.
The reason I bring this up is because in addition to breastfeeding, another “must” for us was preparing baby food ourselves. Just like we researched breastfeeding, we read books and studied web sites about preparing our own organic baby foods. Not only would it be cheaper, but we could control exactly what was in Olivia’s foods. We purchased a Beaba BabyCooker and freezer storage trays and got to work. One of the reasons it was so important to us to put this effort and energy into preparing her foods was because all the research we found emphasized how her first food experiences really set the stage for her beliefs and likes and dislikes for food the rest of her life. Given that I (Nicole) have struggled with weight most of my adult life, I wanted to provide the best foundation for a healthy approach to food and eating with Olivia. So far, making our own food has worked out really well. Of course, for traveling or when we want some extra variety we purchase Earths Best Organic jarred foods, but we make around 90 percent of the food Olivia consumes each day. Once a month, or when there is a sale on organic produce, Mark takes Olivia for awhile and I get to work steaming, slicing, and pureeing foods to freeze.
We especially enjoy watching Olivia try new foods and textures and have started to mix her foods for more variety. For instance, last night she had beets mixed with cottage cheese as a late night snack before bed. And she seems to be enjoying the foods, saying “mmmm” and “yum” when she wants something and she growing well. At her doctor appointment last week, she weighed 17 lbs 9 oz and was 28 inches long.
Last night’s adventures with making “purple/blue/red” foods

The freezer storage containers. They don’t take up much space and the night before you want to use a cube, you take out what you will need for the day and leave it in the refrigerator.
4 comments:
I love the Beaba cook thingy for making baby foods. I get so excited whenever I have to use it. I cannot wait for more organic fruits to come into season for Maxine to try. Looks like Olivia is a wonderful eater!! She is very lucky to have you make all those delicious foods.
Oh - I meant to ask - which is the baby food book you recommended?
Super Baby Foods. It is a bit outdated in some information, but has a wonderful index of all the foods and how to prepare them. However, I find mostly similar information on the wholesomebaby web site if you don't want to buy the book.
Nicole, I am so proud of you for making Olivia's food. It saves so much money..and many other things as well. Some folks that I know turned their noses up at the idea of spending a little extra time infront of a blender or food processor for the sake of a little money saved. It just wasn't worth it to them! Olivia will grow up with a love for food and new flavors. We can't find anything that Arthur Jay wont eat at 3 years old. Including pickled ginger and sushi. Lucky for us!
Post a Comment