Sunday, November 13, 2011

Olivia's Bitty Baby


A few months ago Olivia visited the American Girl store with her cousin. She enjoyed the experience but the store was crowded and she was past her nap time.

On Friday morning we visited the store again with my best friend and her daughter. Olivia, now a few months older, had a completely different experience. She LOVED it. She picked up a Bitty Baby as soon as we walked in the store and wouldn’t put it down unless she found another Bitty Baby she liked better. She played with the babies’ hats and all their accessories and she helped Hannah push the double stroller. Still I thought we could get out of the store without a purchase until Olivia, while holding the baby looked at me, patted the baby and said “Livie happy.” Enough said, that doll was hers!


On the ride home Olivia was asleep so when she awoke from her nap I had taken the doll out of the package and set out some of the accessories I also felt inclined to purchase. Olivia immediately smiled, picked up the doll and said clearly, “Oh she’s so cute.” When I told her that I bought it for her, she said “thank you mama.” Later she said, “look at her hair.”

The doll has not been put down since then. She carries it everywhere. She takes her baby to everyone to show it to them. She even changes its clothes (and the great thing is the clothes are made to be easy for little hands so she can undress and dress the dolls mostly by herself).  I have fond memories playing with my first American Girl (Samantha in case you were wondering) so I hope that Olivia will have the same experience with American Girl...we will just need a second job to pay for it :-)

No comments: