Dear Olivia,
Today you turn 2! I really can’t believe two years have already passed since you were born. I remember the minute you entered this world and I held you for the first time. I remember those first few weeks of rocking and nursing you in the middle of the night. It was so calm and peaceful. You were so tiny. How quickly you grew. Now you are a bubbly, active toddler with a mind of your own.
Now that you are 2, some of your favorites include picnics, slides and swings, stickers, Mickey Mouse, playing dolls, reading, cupcakes, music, Penguin and Kitty, both sets of grandparents, playing with your cousins, and spaghetti noodles.
Your quest for knowledge, even at such a young age, is remarkable. I love seeing your eyes light up at the thought of “new books.” I love how you sit for long periods of time and “read” both quietly and out loud. You speak so clearly and talk in 5 and 6 word sentences. You know words and the meaning of words I had no idea you knew, like telling me your food is too spicy or the seat is comfortable.
You sing loud and without reservation. “Happy Birthday” and “Twinkle Little Star” are your favorites. We giggle when you sing your ABCs and rush through “LMNOP.” You can count to 18 unassisted, although sometimes “7” sounds more like “11.” It warms my heart to hear you say your prayers, the blessing, or sing “Jesus loves me.”
Even with your expansive vocabulary, your favorite word these days is NO. And you say it repeatedly to anything I ask you to do, except of course when I ask you if your favorite word is no, to which you reply, “yes.”
But just as you are a typical toddler with tantrums, you also try so hard to please mama and dada and love to help. From weeding the garden to planting vegetables to filling my coffee holder to cleaning my shower, you always want to be helpful.
Your love for shoes has not diminished. Every day you walk around in my heels and tell me my shoes are “so cute.” You notice my nail polish and jewelry and compliment me on my outfits. And you tell me you love me, at random times. But then you also tell me I have a big bum, so I guess we need to work on tact J
You amazed me at how quickly you transitioned from the crib to your big girl bed. Now you even fall asleep for naps and at night alone without us in the room. Although we miss our night snuggles, we love watching you become more independent.
You are still not a big fan of changing clothes and would stay in your pjs all day if we let you, much to my horror since I have filled two closets with smocked outfits. But you do love hair bows now and like it when I put your hair in piggy tails.
I am beyond thankful for the almost daily interaction you have with both sets of grandparents, for the sacrifices they have made so that they can care for you while we are at work, for the love and attention they provide to you, and for their positive influences in your life.
My wish for you on your second birthday is another healthy year filled with love, fun, and excitement and many more firsts.
All my love,
Mama
2 comments:
Hon, You have a gift for writing the right things and this letter is really special. It is amazing how well you express your sentiments.
Happy birthday Olivia! Cannot wait to see how you continue to grow. We all love you very much.
Post a Comment