Wednesday, April 10, 2013

On Your 3rd Birthday



Dear Olivia,
I can’t believe you are 3! I know I start off all my letters to you by saying that time is going too quickly, but it is so true. I remember so clearly holding you for the first time, bringing you home from the hospital, and all your “first” milestones. And now you are 3!
What an exciting year it has been! From starting preschool to visits to the beach to the excitement of each holiday, the year has been full of so many great memories. This past year you embraced and seemed to really understand the magic of the holidays.  You made every holiday even more enjoyable because of your excitement. You loved Christmas so much that up until March you were still requesting the Christmas CD every time we got into the car.
This past year you experienced many “first,” most of which were wonderful-learning to spell your name, memorizing blessings and prayers and songs, first dance and gymnastics lessons, summer camp, and your first sleepover. You also handled your first-and hopefully last-broken bone like such a big girl, never once complaining.
Your favorites are very similar to when you were two. You still love to read. Sometimes you even “read” to us. One of your greatest excitements is when we pick up “new books” from the library. You have such a wonderful imagination, it is always fun to watch you play. You love when Mama and Daddy play with you, even if you do get frustrated when we don’t do or say what you want us to say. You love to play “princesesses” and dolls. You are always the mama, the doll is Olivia, and I am the grandma. Why I am the grandma, I have no idea. In recent months you have shown a lot of interest in sports, especially soccer. We may be biased, but you really seem to be talented at kicking the ball.
While we might call you monkey or princess or some other name, you always correct us and let us know your name is “Olivia Kate.”  You always love to tell us when we are frustrating you or “structing” (instructing) you.  You still prefer your pajamas to any clothes I lay out. In fact, on the day of your birthday party when I asked if you were excited to go to your party, you responded “yes, and when the party is over I get to come home and put back on my pajamas” (sigh).
You love your grandparents and your cousins dearly. A day doesn’t go by that you don’t talk about them. We remain so grateful for the significant amount of time you are able to spend with family.
You are such a big helper, especially with baking. The other week when I asked if you wanted to help make cupcakes you immediately stopped playing, ran over to me and said “sure, sure, I am ready. What can I do?” I hope you always show that much eagerness in helping others.
The next year will bring so much excitement as you become a big sister. Watching your interactions with your baby cousin I have no doubt you will be an amazing big sister. My heart already melts as I watch you talk to your baby sister and kiss my belly. You have so fondly given her names such as “Belly" and "Caffeine.”
Olivia, you bring so much joy to everyone we know. You are kind and caring and  you make us laugh and smile daily. Our wish for you this next year is one filled with happiness, health, laughter and love. We love you to the moon and back!
Love,
Mama

1 comment:

Mama said...

Super b-day message. Can you print this for her to read one day?