For those who want the quick details, here goes: Mark and I
are excited to let you know that I am 19 weeks pregnant with a baby girl due
around August 25.
For everyone else here is the scoop!
It was December 18 and I happened to see a dollar store
pregnancy test in my bathroom cabinet. For those of you up on your TTC lingo
(that’s trying to conceive) you know that for POAS addicts (Pee on a stick
addicts) these tests are gold. You can test until your heart is content without
spending loads of money on tests. Anyway, given that my period was due any day
I decided to take the test. Initially I saw no second line, but within a couple
minutes I saw out of the corner of my eye the faintest second line. The line
was so faint that I held it up to the window to see it. I didn’t know what to
think, but there was enough of a line that during lunch I purchased a more
expensive test and saw another super faint second line. The next day after taking yet another test
with slightly darker line I called my ob/gyn. Given my previous history, I knew
it was important to have my progesterone levels checked. Also with the
approaching holidays we were going to be out of the town and the doctor’s
office closed. The blood work confirmed I was pregnant but my progesterone
levels were extremely low so I was quickly put on medicine.
By this point I was in shock. It took over a year to get
pregnant previously and that first pregnancy ended in a miscarriage, followed
by 5 more months of trying before we were pregnant with Olivia. So the idea
that I could get pregnant the first month we were trying just didn’t seem
likely. It even took me a few days to tell Mark and when I told him I wouldn’t
let him get his hopes up it would be a viable pregnancy. And sure enough, within days I started spotting
so all my hopes of a healthy pregnancy slipped away. I found myself hoping that
if the pregnancy wasn’t supposed to be, I would just go ahead and miscarry it
would be easier instead of going along further in a pregnancy that wasn’t going
to last. But thankfully, that wasn’t the case. Despite continuing to spot and
worry constantly, I also started to get very very sick with morning sickness. I
thought my morning sickness was bad with Olivia but it was nothing like this.
Not only was I exhausted but I had the hardest time in the morning getting to
work. I had to start bringing spare clothes to work since I was getting sick every
day on my commute.
At six weeks I went for my first ultrasound. I was a nervous
wreck and so worried that we wouldn’t see a heartbeat, but there on the screen
was the tiniest flicker of a heartbeat.
I just started
crying. Finally, it seemed real. All my worry was released, at least for a few
days. Then the spotting came back and with that also came the worry. Given my
difficult pregnancy with Olivia they are treating this pregnancy as high risk
so I was seeing the doctor every couple of weeks and at 9 weeks they started
using the Doppler which was extremely reassuring to be able to hear the baby’s
heartbeat! At 11 weeks we had another ultra sound and saw a sleepy little baby
resting in my belly. Finally before the ultrasound was over the baby woke and
starting kicking and kicking. This frog leg picture is my favorite. We also
learned we most likely were having a girl.
Around 15 weeks I finally stopped the daily vomiting and
mostly just had food aversions and occasional nausea. I can’t count the number
of toast and butter dinners I have had in this pregnancy. And just as the case was when I was pregnant
with Olivia I am getting used to the congestion and not being able to breathe,
the daily nose bleeds, the leg cramps that keep me up most of the night, and
several other annoying symptoms. But these symptoms also are reassuring, a
constant reminder of the life growing inside of me. How absolutely blessed we
are to be able to have another baby and for this child to be doing so well. We
are discussing names, plans for the nursery and warming Olivia up to the idea
of a sibling (she already kisses my belly each night to say sweet dreams to her
baby sister).
A scare at 17 weeks brought me to my knees with worry but
all turned out fine. This week we found out for sure we are having another
sweet little girl. We also found out I
have marginal placenta previa just as I had with Olivia so we are praying the
baby moves up and the previa doesn’t cause complications like it did with
Olivia. Here is the profile of our newest addition.
Check out those cute feet!
We are so glad to be able to share the news with friends and
family and ask for continued prayers for a healthy baby and healthy pregnancy.
2 comments:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am so excited and happy for you! Sorry to hear you had such problems with your pregnancy so far (and with Olivia). I hope you have a healthy and happy pregnancy!
Thank you! We are thrilled and that totally makes up for the inconvenience of yucky preggo symptoms. We can deal with the pg issues as long as baby keeps staying healthy!!
Post a Comment