
As promised, here is the 1st birthday blog complete with pictures from our talented friend and photographer Jennifer. So let’s start from the VERY beginning. I started planning Olivia’s 1st birthday party even before she was born. In fact, I was visualizing what I wanted to do for her first birthday as a technique to get through labor. While I labored I kept thinking of how at this time next year we will be hosting a first birthday party. And so the planning began! We changed themes a few times throughout the year (garden tea party, fairy princess, etc), but it was while in South Africa over the Christmas holidays that we decided on the safari theme. Olivia really enjoyed seeing the animals on the safari, especially the warthogs and elephants, and even though we didn’t see monkeys then, she has always enjoyed stuffed monkeys and Curious George so we decided an animal themed party would be fun for her. A quick search on the Internet confirmed that a safari 1st birthday party wasn’t a novel concept, so I was able to find many decoration, invitation, and food ideas online. About a month before the party I made many of the signs, food labels, banners, and party favors using the Cricut Expression machine.
As the party neared, I involved several of my extremely talented friends. My dear friend Homma designed the invitations and my BFF Laura helped make the birthday hat, banner, and was a sounding board for many of my ideas. Mark’s mom and dad designed the photo area for the party, with help from Mark’s sister Victoria and family friend Fatima. Victoria also baked the most adorable monkey cookies which were included in the favor bags. And of course none of the party would have come together without the help from Nana and Poppy, Aunt Deb, Grandmother, Aunt Sandra and cousin Brooke who watched Olivia so I could work on decorations and who ran lots of errands for the party and helped with the set up. And let’s don’t forget the wonderful family members who helped in the cleanup once the party was done.
Mark and I are very appreciative to those friends and family who joined us on the special day. We had a great time celebrating with you all.
Four Generations

Enjoying the carrot "smash cake" baked by Grandmother Scott

Birthday cake by Kelley Cakes

Cookies baked and decorated by Victoria

African scene designed by Ma'Kulu and Gramps

Banner I made using the Cricut Machine

Safari themed food with labels I made using the Cricut Machine

Table Centerpieces

Invitation designed by Homma
No comments:
Post a Comment