Tuesday, May 31, 2011

New York State of Mind

This past Thursday marked a day I had been dreading for months. While most people would rejoice in the prospect of a long weekend in New York City followed by an amazingly elaborate wedding in New Jersey, I was tense about it because…..

…..it would be the first time leaving Olivia.

Although as a technicality I should point out that when she was 5 months old we stayed overnight in a hotel in Atlanta for a wedding but I was gone less than 24 hours and I knew she was only a few minutes away should something happen. This weekend I was states away from my precious little girl.

As the day approached my anxiety increased. I didn’t worry so much about Olivia as I worried about how I would be. Nana and Poppy would be watching Olivia in our house so she would be in her own environment and she loves being with them. I was mostly worried about how I would handle it. And truth be told, it was nice to be able to relax some and not have to care for another person. But one day into the trip and I was done with relaxing and ready to be back home with Olivia. As a working mom my time with Olivia already feels so limited, I especially hated leaving her over the weekend which is the one time a week when I get to spend significant time with her.

That said, it was a very fun weekend. We ate, drank, and shopped our way through NYC and I was able to see a dear friend in the city. We also played tourists and watched the Today show and the Rihanna summer concert series live.

The wedding of Mark’s college friend and roommate was chocked full of fun entertainment and was absolutely gorgeous. And seeing Mark in traditional Indian attire (he was a groomsman) was a sight to be seen (especially the pointy shoes). We caught up with other friends from college, danced, ate (a lot) and had the luxury of taking several naps.

The updates from home about Olivia were filled with adventures. She went to the neighborhood popsicles by the pool social (twice), swam in a big pool for the first time, enjoyed meals at IHop, Cracker Barrel, and Applebees (kid friendly establishments w/ crayons to entertain her), and attended open gym time. Nana said the last day she could tell Olivia was wondering what was up and probably where are mom and dad. Once during the night she woke up, said “mama” then put her head down and cried :-( But otherwise she did wonderfully, mostly sleeping through the night, eating well and playing with Nana and Poppy. When we returned home Olivia stared at Mark and me for a short time before giving us hugs and kisses. Next vacation, Olivia is definitely joining us for!!!

Some highlights from the weekend

In Times Square

Fountain outside of the Plaza Hotel

The Barratt

The Reception

Arriving home to see Olivia (the best part)

No comments: