Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Olivia's Book Recommendations



Photo taken of Olivia at 8 months old

We read a lot in our household. Olivia has no shortage of books and brings them to us often to read. Sometimes we read the book front to back, other times, she flips the pages quickly and only a few words are read. Some books she has already memorized parts of and “reads” herself.

Our library collection has grown thanks to consignment sales. I have found amazing pop up and activity books that include sound or magnets for just a couple of bucks each. We have also been fortunate to have lots of friends and relatives pass along their favorite books.

Here are some of Olivia’s favorite books:

Counting Kisses by Karen Katz: This book counts down bedtime and always includes lots and lots of kisses from Mommy and Daddy.

First 100 Words by Roger Priddy: Our book is ratty from all the pointing and page turning. Olivia loves identifying the words on the pages, making the animal sounds, and most recently, recognizing some of the colors.

Your Kind of Mommy by Marjorie Blain Parker: This book holds a special place in my heart. I love the special moments only Olivia and I can share while reading about the bond between mommy and baby.

Kisses by Barney Saltzberg: A coworker gave Olivia this book NEW. You would never know that now because the book is in pieces from all the love Olivia gave it. We read this book a zillion times a day for many months. The book included flaps to lift and tabs to pull and a squeaky seal and is about the love parents have for their children.

Olivia by Ian Falconer: Of course Olivia loves reading about Olivia. We have a number of Olivia books, some of which Mark has memorized. It is fun reading about another Olivia, even if she is a pig!



Olivia reads about Olivia at 10 months old

Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister: I remember loving this book as a child, and Olivia seems to like it a lot too. The photos are vivid and teaches about sharing (a concept that we are trying to teach Olivia).

Go, train, go! By W. Awdry: Olivia really enjoys Thomas the Train books, especially this one which includes lots of screeching as Thomas tries to make it to the show on time.


<Olivia loves when Poppy reads to her –picture taken at 15 months


Today’s blog topic was sparked by an email I received from a parenting Web site about the all time best books for toddlers. I realized many of the books on the list we had not read so I think a trip to our nearby library is in order.

Other mommy bloggers, please share some of your children’s favorite books. Don’t you think a book swap would be fun?

1 comment:

othervixie said...

Great recommendations. Maxine LOVES Llama llama red pajama (from your mom). She gets really excited when we read it. I would highly recommend it.