Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Working Mom Wednesday

I want to share a book recommendation to other working moms. A good friend encouraged me to read a book called Balance is a Crock, Sleep is for the Weak: An Indispensable Guide to Surviving Working Motherhood by Amy Eschliman and Leigh Oshirak. Obviously the title is a play on words and the book is laugh-out-loud funny and doesn’t sugar coat all the stresses of trying to work outside the home and raise children.

I first read the book last summer when I was coming back from maternity leave and admit I skimmed a few of the chapters (specifically Part III The Crash-Crazy Eyes, and The Guilt is Killing Me). So I have been pretty frazzled the last month or so (some stress I brought on myself by working and being in school and having a yucky commute, other stresses that will not go away so I need to learn how to positively deal with them) and decided I probably should re-read the book. Right now I am on the section on how to get your mommy mojo back and how to throw money at your problems (specifically in the name of a housekeeper and personal trainer-hint hint Mark). The book also talks a lot about simplifying and realizing a balance doesn’t actually exist so you just do the best you can-a hard pill to swallow if you are used to having things perfect and being in control. Anyway, a must read for the working moms out there as it has some good advice tucked in between relatable (and really funny) stories.

No comments: