Despite blogging for several years I have yet to participate in any of the challenges other bloggers host. But after reading about the 21 Days of Contagious Gratitude hosted by Inspired by Family Magazine, I felt compelled to participate.
How often do we complain rather than be thankful? As I drove home (well mostly sat in non moving traffic) during my extra long commute yesterday with all the other parents trying to make it in time for Halloween I was angry and frustrated and everything was annoying me. I had to race like a mad woman to make it to the neighborhood festivities on time. The celebration was almost over before I could catch my breath and take it all in. I was still so uptight about my hour and half commute that I almost missed my chance to see the excitement on Olivia's face as she watched the other boys and girls dressed in costumes, as she happily sucked down her juice and munched on Frito's.
Participating in this challenge will help remind me to not only reflect on all the blessings in my life but to openly share those blessings and my gratitude with others.
So on day one of this challenge I am thankful for my parents. They were the ones I phoned frantically yesterday as I tried to make it on time for the neighborhood celebration. They dressed Olivia as Little Bo Peep and walked her to the festivities. My parents give up their free time in retirement to watch Olivia every other week. They trade sleeping in their nice king sized bed at their home to stay in our small guest room. And not only do they watch Olivia while Mark and I work, but my mom-who is superwoman-finds a way to do laundry, cook dinner, and keep the house in order. She even handles all sorts of errands for me so that when I get home from work I can play with Olivia instead of dealing with chores. I have no idea how they have the energy they do, but I am so grateful for their love, support, encouragement and help.


No comments:
Post a Comment