Friday, May 6, 2011

Mother's Day Reflections

Last Mother’s Day Olivia was only around a month old and I remember going through the day in much of a haze. This year I am able to spend some time reflecting on the past year and my first year of motherhood.

They say being a parent is the hardest job you will ever have, but also the most rewarding. Transitioning into the role of parent was an adjustment, but I can’t say it was extremely hard. Don’t get me wrong, of course going without sleep and taking care of someone else is time consuming and exhausting, but not so much "hard." I think because most things related to being a mom just come naturally and instinctively, at least at this stage. And what doesn’t; you figure it out as you go along.

I don’t have the words right now to eloquently express what it means to be celebrating Mother’s day. But I do know that I can’t imagine not being Olivia’s mom. I don’t really remember what life was like before Olivia came into the world. I do know that now everyday is filled with joy, laughter and excitement. Watching Olivia experience things for the first time is exhilarating. Even watching her excitement doing such simple things over and over is enjoyable. No matter how tired I am, when I come home I am greeted with squeals and smiles, hugs and kisses. There is nothing greater! And I know the best is yet to come. I don’t want to wish away time but I am so excited about all the many things Olivia and I will get to do together in the future. I look forward to when she is drawing me mother’s day cards and helping Mark prepare breakfast to bring me in bed (hint hint, Mark about the breakfast in bed thing).

I also think once you become a mom, you think differently about your own Mama. You suddenly have a much better appreciation of everything they went through and sacrificed for you. So many times my mom put my needs and wants ahead of her own. She has been my biggest cheerleader, my sounding board, my best friend. I am so fortunate to have her in my life. And now I am able to watch the influence she has on my daughter’s life. The sacrifices she is making to be able to spend so much time with Olivia is immeasurable.

This weekend we are celebrating Mom’s all around, meeting up with Mark’s family, including Mark’s sister Victoria (also a new mom) and Mark’s mother for a Sunday brunch.

Wishing all moms a happy and blessed Mother’s Day!

First day Olivia was born

Mother-daughter picture at 2 months old

Recent mother-daughter picture

No comments: