Monday, June 27, 2016

Putting the ART in PARTY!

For Olivia's 6th birthday (you know back in April) we celebrated with an art party! Olivia wants to be an artist when she grows up and loves everything art related. There was no shortage of ideas for an art party. Because she wanted to invite every girl in her class (12) plus some dance, church, and family friends we had the party at home instead of at a studio. In hindsight, with 26 girls plus parents it was a bit crowded at our house but she loved having everyone come to our house.

I started months in advance using Michael's coupons to buy the canvases in bulk. Olivia chose the picture she wanted everyone to paint and we used a foam owl kit to trace the owl onto the canvas. With 26 canvases to make, Olivia did most of the tracing on the canvases which was a HUGE help. I purchased the oil paints from Wal Mart and Michaels, choosing as many colors as I could find on clearance. I found the paint brushes in bulk at Wal Mart and Michaels.



For the tables I found the bright primary color tablecloths at Oriental Trading and some of the art-themed items like the place mats, napkins, and plates at Hobby Lobby. I purchased aprons from Oriental Trading and then stenciled the names of each guest.


I hung tablecloths across our foyer to make a backdrop for pictures with friends.


Party favors included a personalized art book (Target Dollar Spot in packs of 8 for $3) and paint palette cookies from Oriental Trading.


I designed the cupcakes myself cutting out a palette from cardboard. As another activity, we had palettes filled with sprinkles so that each party goer could decorate their own cupcake. Other food included Pop Art (sprinkled covered popcorn), paint chips, rainbow fruit, rice crispy paint brushes, Creative Juices, and pinwheel sandwiches.















Besides painting the canvas and decorating cupcakes we also had a sand art table outside (of course this late March day had temperatures in the 40s) so it was a bit cold but it spread out activities. The art themed bean bag toss was from Oriental Trading. We also set up a beading station which was a hit with the girls.





Finished masterpieces!
Overall the planning went smoothly and Olivia was a happy birthday girl. One advantage to having the party at our house was that I could set up in advance so I didn't feel too rushed the day of the party.


Like my parties? Check out Olivia's previous parties

Safari Adventure 1st birthday
O' TWOdles 2nd birthday
Under the Sea 3rd birthday
Tumble and Play 4th birthday
Frozen Tea Party 5th birthday


Bugs and Butterflies 1st birthday
Peppa'tastic 2nd birthday

1 comment:

kate said...

Absolutely adorable party, Nicole!! Everything looked amazing! I'm sure Olivia loved it! xo